Friday, August 5, 2011

Stopover at Teteto Beach


ROTA—Driving along the paved road from Songsong going to Sinapalo Village on Rota will give you a chance to enjoy many scenic spots that may hinder your trip if you are in a hurry, and this includes pristine beaches, lush jungles, historical sites, and more attractions packed into this small paradise of an island.
One of the island’s attractions that you should and could not miss is this long stretch of a usually deserted white, sandy beach called Teteto Beach Club, located about three and a half miles away from the Rota International Airport. I mean deserted in the sense that you will feel you have rented the whole beach for yourself when you go there. It could be because the island’s limited population just takes the beach for granted, and tourists have other activities and places to explore there, except for few minutes’ stopover.
The slight drizzle did not hamper me from stopping by one afternoon some months back to snap some photos. Contrary to what any photographer would have wanted to capture, there was no blue clouds and bright sun shining above. Instead, the weather was bleak and huge, angry waves crash
Nobody was around, and I felt a little bit strange and apprehensive as I parked my rented car a few feet away from the sign board advertising the name of the beach but I decided to be brave and went out. The umbrellas used to shelter loungers were folded as nobody was using them, and I guess as a protection from being blown by the strong winds. I took quick snapshots as I tried to fight off the uncanny feeling that I was not alone and that someone or something was observing me. Scolding myself for entertaining such thoughts in broad daylight, I hurried back to the car and drove on.
On a bright sunny day, the Teteto Beach would have been a perfect spot to relax and unwind, stretch and read your favorite book, or sunbathe on the loungers.
The water at Teteto Beach looks shallow and safe, but I was told the current could be sometimes pretty strong.
Teteto Beach with its pristine shores is ideal for family picnics, for beach activities, for hanging out or for simply communing with nature.
I would have loved to capture one of the stunning sunsets over Teteto Beach from photos I’ve seen online posted by several photographers but my timing was not good because the weather was not cooperative, and I had to hurry to catch my flight back to Saipan. Maybe, next time.